- Play card games
- Write and read Social Stories
- Play board games
- Have play dates
- Check with your child’s school for counselor-led social groups
- Have lunch with your child to gauge social interaction
Allow for age-appropriate social exchanges within the community
- Asking for directions,
- Asking for help locating a book in a library,
- Asking a responsible adult where the restroom is,
- Paying for an ice cream cone, and
- Ordering a drink or dinner at a restaurant.
Other suggestions include
- Be proactive, give the child a script, and
- Set children up for success by giving conversation starters.